Tonya Martin's LocBox
All the way from Canada, Tonya Martin, is one of the fabulous, African-American loc'd females coming up in the natural hair space. She has a new company called LocBox to help naturals sample products in an organized way with a new subscription service, LocBox. Thankfully, I was asked to be apart of her first box being sent out for April customers. Let's rally around her and show some support towards her new "baby"! But as you know, I had to get the low-down about her locs! I wanted to find out all about her locing process and a little about her new venture. Read more below if you are interested.
1. Tell us a bit about yourself (Name, where you grew up, do for a living, your passion)
My name is Tonya Martin and I grew up in Toronto, Canada. I have lived here all my life. I am a registered nurse by trade and deal with the mental health population. My passion is hair and has always been. :)
- When did you start your locs? What do you like best about them and least about them?
I started my locs 2 years ago and my favourite thing about them is I love that they are natural and chemical free and all mine! No more fake hair in my head. The thing I like least about them is that I wish I had started them a little thicker. I love thick locs! Perhaps in my next loc life.
- What are some of your staples for loc maintenance?
Some of my staples include water, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil and I love me some Dr. Bonners castile soap in lavender.
- Do you palmroll, tighten or freeform? And what products do you use to maintain your style?
My hair is always tighten by the interlock method, with the latch hook tool. I find that it lasts longer for me and I don’t have to retighten as often.
- What is the mission/purpose of your (blog/band/business/project, etc)
The mission and purpose of locBOX is to provide an affordable avenue for people to find products that work for their hair. It gives an opportunity for them to access many different products, to find out what helps them grow and maintain long beautiful locs.
- What piece of advice would you give someone who wanted to start a (your project)?
Be consistent and continuously be transparent.
- Which Tiffany's Loc Jewels piece is one that you’d want to wear?
I want one from your new collection, Sunset something, but the name escapes me now.
8. Coffee or Tea?
Definitely coffee Tiff!
If you would like to contact Tonya, or read more about her current projects, you can find her at:
Thanks Tiffany, Hugs & kisses love.